There is a deep pool of talented, passionate young professionals in the Sport for Development sector, yet not many pipelines are devoted to their growth and development. In order to more intentionally cultivate the next generation of diverse leaders who will lead programs, organizations and teams that are supporting young people through sport, Laureus USA created the Sport for Good (SfG) Cities Emerging Leaders Program to build professional capacities and skills, fosters mentoring and peer relationships, and help propel participants into future leadership positions.
The SfG Cities Emerging Leaders Program is a 20-hour, 10-week professional development cohort program that cultivates and connects the next generation of diverse leaders in the sports-based youth development (SBYD) sector. Focus areas include management and strategy, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, fundraising, sustainability, and additional topics based on participants needs. The program targets early- to mid-career professionals (2-8+ years) in the Sport for Development sector such as those working in SBYD, youth sports and social impact for pro sports teams and leagues. Preference is given to candidates who identify as BIPOC, Sport for Good program alumni, and those with direct service and/or coaching experience.
Thank you to our 2023 Sponsor
Through a comprehensive application process, Laureus USA identified emerging leaders across organizations that spanned our for Sport for Good Cities – Atlanta, Chicago, New Orleans, and New York, as well as some cities across the US – and were eventually divided into four cohorts. The selected leaders were representative of a diverse cross-section of the youth sports world. The organizations represented by participants and coaches included sports-based youth development organizations, government agencies, and professional sports teams.
Congratulations to the cohort members (listed below) for completion of the program!
| New York
- Anthony Andino, Lead Consultant and Trainer, The Center for Healing and Justice Through Sport
- Jaqueline Nava Rangel, Marketing & Communications AmeriCorps VISTA, Women’s Sports Foundation
- Maria Gerena, Community Programs Manager, Asphalt Green
- Rosa Marruffo, Program Director, Girls on the Run NYC
- Will Remnick, DEI Associate & Site Operations Coordinator, Kids in The Game
- Luis Monell, Co-Executive Director, 360 Academic Sports Academy
- Sabrina Canchola, Program Manager
- Charles Cannon Jr, Founder, Trainer & Coach, Uplift Weightlifting
- Jorge Saldarriaga, Co-Founder, GRC Run Club
- Tanjanika Lindsey, Citywide Programs Manager, Girls in The Game
- Zacharyiah C. Austin, Program Coordinator, America Scores Chicago
- Mariana Niekamp, AmeriCorps VISTA Associate through Up2Us Sports, Women Win
- Sydney Achler, Manager, Evaluation and Impact, Chicago Cubs Charity
- Tameika Hinton, SYL Program Director, Lost Boyz Inc.
- Khari Parrish, Director of Operations, Community Sailing New Orleans (New Orleans)
- Treniyyah Anderson, Program Coordinator, Grassroots Health (Philadelphia)
- Manuel Meraz, Program Associate, US Soccer Foundation (Denver)
- Chevelle Lee, Recreational Center Director, City of Birmingham (Birmingham, AL)
- Danielle Lugo, Program Manager, Up2Us Sports (Los Angeles)
- Aja Murray, Student Success Manager, Soccer in the Streets
- Bri Boldon, Atlanta Youth Rugby
- Chiquita Russaw, Executive Director, MBP Helping Hands
- Evan Oglesby, Founder/CEO, Evan Oglesby Foundation
- Nigel Butler, Board Member, Future Is Near
- Cordero Tanner, Executive Director, Athleaders 360°