Request for Proposals: Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and New York City
Laureus USA is pleased to announce funding opportunities for sport for development organizations operating in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and New York City.
About Laureus USA
Laureus USA’s mission is to improve the lives of youth and unite communities through the power of sport. We are part of a global network of Sport for Good Foundations using sport to tackle violence, discrimination, and disadvantage. Since being founded under the Patronage of President Mandela in 2000, Laureus has generated more than $150 million for the sports-based youth development sector and impacted the lives of more than six million youth globally.
Who We Fund
Laureus USA funds non-profit sport for development organizations that intentionally address a particular and relevant social issue facing youth, while increasing physical activity and enhancing social-emotional development. Laureus USA will fund organizations using sport to create impact in one or more of the following social focus areas:
- Education – More youth attending and completing school with increased attainment
- Health and Well-being – Reducing childhood obesity, increasing physical activity, and/or increasing social-emotional learning assets in children and youth
- Employment – Increasing technical skills, qualifications, and soft skills of youth that help prepare youth for employment
- Inclusive Society – Creating communities which embrace ethnic, cultural, sexual, and physical difference and promote racial equality
- Peaceful Society – Resolving conflict, supporting community peacemaking, and access to safe spaces
- Women and Girls – Increasing participation and leadership of women and girls and promoting equity, empowerment, and safety
Funding will be granted to organizations:
- Operating in, serving youth from, or planning to serve youth from within the city limits of Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans, the Metro Atlanta area, and/ or New York City’s five boroughs
- Organizations that demonstrate a sustainable organizational structure
- Organizations that demonstrate commitment to leadership and resource development in the field of sport for development
Successful applicants will:
- Highlight primary and secondary social focus areas
- Demonstrate basic standards in the areas of child protection, governance, monitoring and evaluation, partnership, and financial stewardship
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion across internal practices (leadership, staffing, and governance) as well as in programming and community engagement
- Commit to implementing Algorhythm’s Hello Insight platform to measure social emotional learning in program participants
- Priority will be given to those organizations who are actively collaborating with other organizations, schools, and agencies, as well as organizations participating in local youth program quality initiatives
How Long and How Much we Fund
Laureus USA will make one-year general operating grants to local organizations. Grants are available in the range of $20,000 to $50,000. Preference will be given to applications that propose efficient and optimal use of their budget.
Who we Do Not Fund
- Organizations that do not emphasize positive youth development through their programming
- Other foundations or intermediaries that do not provide direct sports-based youth development programming to youth
- Pay to play organizations such as for-profit youth sports leagues
- Projects focused on training for elite-level athletic achievement
- Schools and/or scholastic sports leagues
Organizations interested in applying for funding should complete an online Expression of Interest (EOI) form.
Only successful EOI applicants will be invited to complete a full application.
All successful applicants will be expected to:
- Submit bi-annual reports using the Laureus USA reporting template
- Implement Algorhythm’s Hello Insight tool to measure social-emotional learning outcomes in a designated sample of youth twice annually with Laureus USA support
- Commit to site visits once annually for program observation (when CDC guidelines allow)
Expression of Interest due January 21st by 5pm EST
Invitations to Full Application extended February 19th by 5pm EST
Full Applications due March 4th by 5pm EST
Notification of Awards Mid- April 2021
Questions? Please contact Sara McLaughlin at email@example.com.